CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

5.28.2008

Anticipation

In exactly two months, Justin & I should be well on our way to a new home, to a new state, and a new start on our lives, can you believe it? Everyday we get closer and closer and I can't believe we're actually doing this. For the first time, we are doing something with absolutely no help from anyone else. Well, with the exception of mom & dad helping us move, but we knew that was going to happen, lol! We are SO excited!


A lot is going on lately that I can't post about just yet, but I'm excited to say that I'm the happiest I've ever been! I just started my part time job working in the childcare for a local conference center, I've worked there before, but always during the day. This year I'm working nights and weekends, and I LOVE it! I wish I could do this all the time, but sadly it wouldn't pay the bills :(


I've been thinking a lot about my grandfathers lately, about the memories... so I thought I'd post a little.... or a lot... about them today. My paternal grandfather, whom I call "Papaw" passed away in October 2006. He had to be one of the most loving and compassionate people I've ever known, but he never showed you that physically.... but you just knew the love he had for you. My brother and I spent most of our childhood at my paternal grandparents while our parents worked. I remember going to their house and eating milk and cornbread for breakfast and watching bugs bunny or wiley coyote while Papaw read the paper. Granny would play Rummy with us, and she ALWAYS beat us, and I'm beginning to think it's because she's a huge cheater!!! Papaw would take us outside and help us catch junebugs, and tye a string around it's back legs so we could fly it around like a little airplane. Sometimes he'd take Granny and me with him to work in his garden. We'd walk up to see my "Little Granny" (my grandmother's mother) and play with my cousins. Sunday afternoons after church, we'd climb into Papaw's car and slowly but surely make it to the grocery store to buy a gallon bucket of chicken, jojo potatoes, mashed potatoes and green beans for lunch. When I was very small, we'd go visit my Papaw's mother in the nursing home, but I don't remember a whole lot about that.... except for the smell of the nursing home. I think everyone knows that smell!!


My maternal grandfather, "Papaw Steve", wasn't a part of my life when I was younger. I had met him before but I don't remember meeting him until I was 8 or 9 years old. I didn't really understand why my mom had two dads and two moms, I just knew that he was my mom's real dad and that he lived far away. Even though I didn't know him as well as I knew my paternal Papaw, I do have many fond memories with him. One Christmas he built a dollhouse for me, a little miniature log cabin with furniture to match. I LOVED that dollhouse, I still have it at my mom's house actually, I think! He was always quiet, never really said much, but we knew that he loved us. He even walked me down the aisle, along with my dad... he was so happy that day, I'll never forget that. Papaw Steve passed away a month after my wedding on Thanksgiving Day of 2007. He was an amazing man. I learned about all the amazing things he did throughout his life at his funeral and for weeks after that. He was truly and amazing man.





Since I have a verse posted on Papaw Steve's picture, I'll use that verse today...

" 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: